SUCCESS STORY: FONTINI
Industry. Manufacture of electrical equipment.
Fontini is one of the new clients that has trusted INTECH3D's professional 3D printing jobs, reducing the manufacturing of their prototypes from 15 days to 24 hours. Find out how they have applied additive manufacturing in their company and what results they have obtained.
Fontini is a company based in Barcelona that has a long history behind it in the design and manufacture of decorative pieces for electrical installations. An activity that has been practicing since 1950 as a family industrial group under the name of Font Group Barcelona. His specialty is the production of high-end pieces, so you should know that this project has in itself been a great challenge regarding the quality standards that had to be achieved.
Their long experience in the electrical equipment sector has guaranteed them the great expansion they enjoy today. Fontini is already an international firm with a presence in 48 countries. The essence of the brand is to bet on innovative designs, with great care in every detail during the manufacturing process of its pieces.
3D printing for a manufacturing with the maximum perfection and detail
“Having a 3D printing team at our facilities offers us the possibility of validating designs quickly and even immediately, being able to finish products on time and dedicate efforts equally to all projects. In addition, we have much more control over the design, to detect possible errors, thus eliminating the risk during the manufacturing of the final part.”
Justin Esturo- Head of Engineering
The challenge: the high standards of luxury design
Fontini does not manufacture any type of component, but those intended for electrical installations in the luxury sector. It includes the offices of important companies, four and five star hotels, avant-garde homes, etc. It is a brand that is committed to a very sophisticated design and top quality materials for each of its products.
To do this, it offers excellent 3D prototyping, as well as printing custom and exclusive parts. The main requirement of this client was that the pieces made with 3D printing could adapt and fit perfectly in the delicate spaces for which they design. The style of the printed decorative pieces could not clash with the rest of the materials with which they work; wood, porcelain, aluminum or steel. In this sense, it has been necessary to use a technology capable of providing additive manufacturing adapted to the customer.
The solution: 3D printing and additive manufacturing to make the prototypes of your products
The equipment provided for this project has used the layer-by-layer laser printing technique to convert a liquid material into a solid. Known as SLA, it is a form of additive manufacturing.
The material we have used has been Formlabs Gray resin, specially designed for 3D industrial engineering and manufacturing. It is a versatile material, with very low deformation and ideal for high-precision parts that are going to be subjected to regular use or manipulation. The application of the necessary models for Fontini was 3D prototyping. And thanks to 3D printing, they have achieved personalized and appropriate shapes for their components, such as covers for monitors or plugs.
Project results: time savings, greater control and risk minimization thanks to 3D printing
Truly, INTECH3D technology for 3D printing has meant a before and after in the manufacture of its high-end parts. Discover some of the benefits they have achieved with this project:
- The Fontini brand now has the ability to rapidly make 3D prototypes with full functionality. In this way, they can quickly and immediately validate their own part designs.
- Thanks to 3D prototyping, they finish projects with enough time. This savings allows them to dedicate hours to other tasks and internal projects.
- It is a perfect option to assess in advance any errors or imperfections that the final product may have. This is how they can now better detect failures and eliminate the risks of making mistakes in the manufacture of the final part.
- They have managed to reduce manufacturing time and production costs, since they are currently able to make prototypes with 3D printers in their own facilities. Before, they saw the need to outsource the prototyping; a process that took them on average about 90 days and that they can now do in 24 hours.
The revolution that 3D printing technology has generated
As you have seen, 3D printers and additive manufacturing offer solutions for all sectors. Undoubtedly, working with FONTINI has provided further proof of the multiple advantages of 3D printing technology. On this occasion, for design pieces in electrical installations in rooms with a high economic and social position.
In short, 3D industrial manufacturing is already a revolution that has changed design and manufacturing processes forever in all sectors. Betting on 3D printing is having views of a simpler and more efficient industrial future.
The INTECH3D 3D Consulting process
INTECH3D we are business advisers and consultants, in the field of the integration of additive production technologies in the value chains of companies. We take responsibility for the correct integration of the teams in the value chain of each company or business:
- Advice during the choice of the right technology
- Marketing of equipment, consumables and spare parts
- Training for the use of the necessary Hardware and Software
- Integrated equipment maintenance
- Official technical service for all products marketed
The INTECH3D technical team has more than 6 years of experience in various 3D printing technologies. We have different technologies and manufacturing materials with 3D printing, to cover the different technological or business needs of each sector:
- Conceptual prototypes
- Functional prototypes
- Final components
- Workshop tools
- Spare parts
- Short and medium production series.
It is also very important that all the departments of the same company know all the possibilities and benefits that 3D printing can bring to their sector:
- Risk reduction in manufacturing
- Reduced manufacturing costs
- Reduced manufacturing time
- Validation with a prototype before making an investment in final manufacturing
- Manufacture "on demand", without discarding material.
- Reduction of the "Time to Market" of the final product
- Manufacture of "Bridge" series to know its fit in the market
- Possibility of making short production series
- Elimination of time in the provision of Stock
If you want to apply 3D printing technology in your company or business, do not hesitate to contact us. We are at the service of companies for the immediate resolution of any doubt or query related to the use of the equipment.
Do you need more information about any of our solutions or would you like us to advise you on how to integrate 4.0 technology in your company?